Do you have a lemon tree in your yard? My boyfriend has a Meyer tree in his yard and I have a Eureka tree in mine. It has been a good year for lemons and that means that we have more lemons than we know what to do with!! (Should I do a giveaway?)
Have you heard of Limoncello? Have you tried it? Back in March I made Limoncello using the Meyer lemons. Mmmm, squisito! I found a lot of recipes for this but used one that I found on allrecipes.com. These recipes called for 100 proof vodka but I was only able to find 80 proof. So, that is what I went with.....
Here is the recipe:
- 10 lemon
- 1 liter vodka
- 3 cups white sugar
- 4 cups water
- Zest the lemons, and place zest into a large glass bottle or jar. Pour in vodka. Cover loosely and let infuse for one week at room temperature.
- After one week, combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. DO NOT STIR. Boil for 15 minutes. Allow syrup to cool to room temperature.
- Stir vodka mixture into syrup. Strain into glass bottles, and seal each bottle with a cork. Let mixture age for 2 weeks at room temperature.
- Place bottled liqueur into the freezer. When icy cold, serve in chilled vodka glasses or shot glasses.
|Peeling the lemon. Be sure not to get any of the white pith into the mix.|
So, you have heard the phrase, "Waste not, want not"? So I had a bunch of nekkid lemons. How about, while we are waiting for the limoncello, we make some instant gratification cocktails? Again, this recipe is from allrecipes.comallrecipes.com. Lemon Drop:
- 4 fluid ounces fresh lemon juice
- 2 fluid ounces vodka
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- crushed ice
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh mint
- In a mixing glass, combine lemon juice, vodka and sugar. Stir until dissolved, then pour into glasses filled with ice. Garnish with a lemon slice and sprig of mint.
These left me with a bit of a pucker face but my boyfriend loves them!
|Meyer Limoncello, Eureka lemons and Smirnoff Vodka|
|The Smirnoff was the smartest buy, ie; the cheapest.|
|I am wondering how much of a difference there will be between the Meyer and the Eureka Limoncello.|
|Limoncello with a lemon peel garnish inside.|
|Fair warning - if you are going to drink your props, make sure that someone else is able to drive when you need to make a grocery run. Just sayin'.|